Valley Dental Care of Plainfield is proud to offer our community the best technology for straightening your smile. Our orthodontic specialists can diagnose and treat any number of bite and alignment issues, helping to not only improve your smile but also boost your oral health as well!
Do You Need Orthodontics?
The only surefire way to determine if you need orthodontic treatment is by working with your dentist. We use a number of diagnostic tools to decide on a proper treatment method for you—including a full medical and dental health history, plaster molds of your teeth, a dental exam, x-rays, photographs and more. If you have any of the following dental issues, orthodontic treatment may be right for you:
- Overcrowding – when teeth do not have adequate space along the dental ridge
- Overbite – the upper teeth stick out farther than the lower teeth
- Underbite – the bottom teeth stick out farther than the upper teeth
- Crossbite – a misalignment where the upper teeth do not come down directly over the bottom teeth.
- Open bite – when a space is created between the biting surfaces of the upper and lower teeth.
- Misplaced midline – when the center of the upper teeth and lower teeth do not line up together
- Spacing issues – when a gap is present in the teeth (either teeth are missing or they are not close enough together)
How Valley Dental Care of Plainfield Can Help
You don’t have to deal with these bite and alignment issues – we have the technology to help! Your dentist at Valley Dental Care of Plainfield will walk you through the best options to treat your particular case, though the two following devices are the most commonly used:
- Invisalign® – This technology uses a series of custom-made, clear aligners. Every two weeks, the patient receives a new set of aligners that gradually move the teeth into place. If used correctly, Invisalign® can successfully remedy mild to moderate orthodontic issues about 50% quicker than other methods. This is a favorite for adults and teens, as these aligners are virtually invisible and can be taken out when you eat.
- Braces – Braces are the most commonly used treatment for alignment issues. The device is comprised of brackets (which are firmly attached to the teeth), wires, and bands. The wires pass through the brackets and are then held in place by the bands. Over a series of monthly appointments in which we tighten the wires, the teeth will gradually move into place until we reach the desired results. Kids love the bright colored bands we have on offer, but they also come in clear styles for adults as well.
While these two methods are the most commonly utilized treatments, we do offer appliances for certain cases—including palatal expanders, space maintainers, and more. We also provide retainers to help you maintain your straight teeth even after your treatment is complete.
Straightening your teeth can give you a great boost of confidence, as well as providing you with a number of health benefits. Straighter teeth are easier to clean, so the risk of losing your teeth to decay and periodontal disease decreases significantly. Fixing the alignment of your bite can also lessen the amount of stress on your jaw muscles, thereby reducing headaches, TMJ syndrome, and pain in the neck, shoulders, and back.
If you’d like to learn more about how orthodontics can benefit you, call Valley Dental Care of Plainfield today to schedule your orthodontic consultation.